Saturday, December 21, 2013

Snowmen Collages











my example

Or I guess I should say snowpeople.  :)  I was admittedly overly ambitious to think the children could easily complete all the steps to create these collages in an hour and 15 minutes. In order to do so, it required me to become equal parts art teacher and drill sergeant. We first used liquid watercolor and salt to create our winter sky backgrounds. I had some Sax blue glitter watercolor which was fun for the kids to use and made their skies sparkle. The birch trees were created by scraping black acrylic paint across posterboard scraps using cardboard pieces. While these dried, the children made their snowpeople with chalk pastels on blue construction paper. At this point I brought out my hair dryer to hurry along the drying process. The snowpeople were cut out and the birch trees cut into strips. I encouraged the kids to vary the width of their trees to make them appear closer and further away. And last, they glued down all the elements. If we had more time, I would have had them add some cast shadows to their birch trees and maybe some extra snowfall. I will definitely try this project again at a more relaxed pace.

Wishing you all a Very Merry Christmas! Enjoy your time spent with family and friends!

8 comments:

  1. I like this combo of textures and techniques. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hope! The kids really enjoyed the magic of salt on watercolor, scraping the acrylic to make the birches and getting messy with chalk pastels. This project had a little bit of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you do the shadows of the trees on the snow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were painted with just some watered down black watercolor.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you use liquid glue to put this all together or glue stick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glue sticks worked fine for everything. If your posterboard a a bit on the thicker side, you might want to use liquid glue for those.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and feedback!